Advice for buyers
This platform is managed by British Dressage and you’d hope to be interacting with an honest community. However, it’s important to be vigilant at all times and we want you to be safe when making a purchase. The Money Advice Service has some excellent tips on buying safely online.
Some tips to help protect you:
- Don’t give your personal information to someone you don’t know. If your seller asks for information you don’t feel comfortable giving out, don’t work with them.
- Set yourself up with an online method of payment or person-to-person payment app such as PayPal, Venmo or CashApp which helps you and your seller to stay safe. If they don’t accept transactions through one of these methods, make sure you’re confident in their transaction method.
- Credit card purchases afford the most protection against fraud.
- Face to face transactions are preferable but make sure any funds are cleared in your bank account before you release the goods.
- Do a bit of online research about the seller if you can.
- If you’re buying a vehicle, don’t forget to do an HPI check.
- Do a reverse image search on Google to make sure the images haven’t been used elsewhere and are genuine to the advert.
- Make sure any online transactions are over a secure internet connection.
- Speaking over the phone will help you verify your buyer is serious about the purchase.
- If you’re selling an item to send by post, take detailed pictures before sending to avoid false damage claims. Consider insurance with your courier to cover damage from transit.
Our partners Harrison Clark Rickerbys have some top tips on buying horses and points to consider from a legal point of view. If you have further questions, you have a 30 minutes free consultation included in your Full (competing), Full (non-competing) and Club membership or require further assistance take a look at their website here.
Our FAQs document also has further information.