Two disciplines, one championship! The Red Gorilla® Combined Training series offers a unique opportunity to fine-tune your dressage and showjumping skills.
How to qualify
There are seven classes to choose from, which start at Introductory and go through to Elementary, with the relevant show jumping height attached to each class. To qualify for the Red Gorilla Combined Training Championship, simply place in the top two in any class, at any qualifier. If the top two have already qualified, it will be passed down to the next eligible competitor.
Need to know:
- Introductory classes are eligible to combinations who've not competed at Elementary or above.
- Preliminary and Novice are eligible to combinations who've not competed at Medium or above.
- The Elementary class is eligible to any combination at any level/eligibility no matter of their previous competition record.
Tests and showjumping heights
|BD test||Showjumping maximum height|
|Intro B (2009)||60cm|
|Prelim 2 (2016)||70cm|
|Prelim 18 (2002)||80cm|
|Novice 24 (2010)||80cm|
|Novice 34 (2009)||90cm|
|Elementary 42 (2008)||80cm|
2024 Qualifier dates and entries
|Northallerton Equestrian Centre||Northumberland||20 January|
|Moreton Equestrian Centre||Dorset||27 January|
|Brook Farm Training Centre||Essex||3 February|
|Holmside Hall Equestrian||Durham||11 February|
|Scottish National Equestrian Centre||West Lothian||18 February|
|Willow Banks Equestrian Centre||Lincolnshire||3 March|
|Bury Farm Equestrian Village||Buckinghamshire||3 March|
|West Wilts Equestrian Centre||Wiltshire||3 March|
|Golden Cross Equestrian Centre||East Sussex||3 March|
|Onley Grounds Equestrian Centre||Warwickshire||9 March|
|Colraine Equestrian Centre||Cornwall||9 March|
|Alnwick Ford Equestrian Centre||Northumberland||10 March|
|Solihull Equestrian Centre||West Midlands||16 March|
|Ponderosa Equestrian Centre||Newport||17 March|
|Kelsall Hill||Cheshire||23 March|
|Chard Equestrian Centre||Somerset||23 March|
|Allens Hill Competition Centre||Worcestershire||23 March|
|Wellington Riding||Hampshire||23 March|
|Parwood Equestrian Centre||Surrey||TBC|
|Onley Grounds Equestrian Centre||Warwickshire||27 – 28 April|
Need to know:
- The same horse must compete in both phases and may not compete in more than two classes on the same day.
- The dressage phase is run under British Dressage rules, as well as competitor dress and tack and equipment. No whips are allowed in the dressage phase at the championships.
- The show jumping phase is run under British Showjumping rules, is timed accordingly as well as competitor dress and tack and equipment. Whips are permitted in this phase at the championships.
- The course will consist of eight to twelve fences.
- Any faults that occur will be deducted from the marks awarded in the dressage phase. The winner is the combination with the highest score.
Want to find out more? Check out our member's handbook for all of the rules.
Combinations may hold a minimum of an BD Community Membership and Horse Registration and compete on a Class Ticket. Please note that for the Championships, all horses and riders must upgrade to a minimum of a Club Membership and Club Horse Registration.