National Development Programme for Coaching Excellence
The National Development Programme for Coaching Excellence is aimed at coaches who sustain and grow participation in equestrian sports.
This course is relevant for coaches working with adults and young people who participate in equestrian sport for competitive recreation motives. Coaches wanting to join this programme will be ambitious in improving their own performance and will already have success in getting more people participating in equestrian sport and retaining them in the sport by creating enjoyable coaching environments.
This is a cross discipline programme involving; British Showjumping, British Dressage and British Eventing. The programme commences in Autumn and the cost for the programme is £250 with Sport England supporting 50% of the overall cost. All places will be allocated following an interview process.
Aims of the programme
- To recognise the importance of high performing coaches working with riders at grass roots level
- To use research and case studies from within and outside of equestrian sport to inform coaching practice at grass roots level
- To support coaches to reflect and review their own performance and set personal development plans
- To develop coaches with expertise to influence coaching programmes that improve rider’s experiences
What the programme will involve:
- A 12 month programme with eight contact days that are a mix of seminar and practical workshops
- A group of up to 20 coaches to be involved from across a range of equestrian disciplines
Who should apply?
- Any coach who wants to improve their own performance and is particularly interested in supporting recreational competitors
- Coaches should already hold a UKCC level 3 qualification (or equivalent)
- Coaches who already demonstrate a degree of the high performing criteria listed below
High Performing Grassroots Coach Criteria
- Ability to think innovatively and put ideas into action
- Able to build strong relationships with riders and between riders and to establish and maintain a positive environment for riders
- Aid the development of riders on an individual basis and are perceptive to their needs and wants
- Build and sustain rider’s love of the sport and their involvement. To also understand participant pathways into and across equestrian sport
- Show a commitment to on-going learning and personal development and act as an ambassador for the sport and positively influence the development of programmes to improve rider and driver experiences
How to apply
Application to this programme is via an application form. Please look closely at the criteria for the high-performing grassroots coach so that you are able to show how you currently demonstrate some of these. Download, complete and return the form to Viki Dicesare, either via email or post to Viki Dicesare, British Dressage Meriden Business Park, Copse Drive, Meriden, West Midlands, CV5 9RG. Find out more below:
The deadline for applications is midnight on 9 August 2021.