Petplan Equine Area Festivals
The Petplan Equine Area Festivals are the perfect target for BD riders looking to have a taste of the big time at a championship-feel event!
The series, which was launched in 2000 and is aimed at grassroots riders, has grown from 15 Area Festivals around the country with 555 tests completed in its’ first year to over 6,300 dressage tests ridden in the 2018/19 series.
Split into two seasons, summer and winter, the Petplan Equine Area Festivals offer a year round competition pathway with riders qualifying and competing in the Area Festivals, before going on to the Area Festival Championships taking place in April and October each year.
|Winter 2022||Summer 2021|
|Qualification period||1 July - 31 December 2021||29 March - 30 June 2021|
|Levels||Prelim to Inter I||Prelim to Inter I (including Freestyle to Music)|
|Sections||Bronze and Silver||Bronze and Silver|
|Area Festivals||Mid January - mid February||July - end of August|
|Championships||Held at the NAF Five Star Winter Championships||Arena UK in October|
|Dressage tests||Prelim 19, Novice 23, Elementary 53, Medium 73, Advanced Medium 91, FEI PSG 2009 and FEI Inter I 2009||Prelim 19, Novice 23, Elementary 53, Medium 73, Advanced Medium 91, FEI PSG 2009 and FEI Inter I 2009|
Area Festival qualification follows the same points based method as other major BD championships, including the summer and winter regionals. Achieve your required number of points within the designated qualification periods detailed below. Points can be gained at regular BD shows at your local venues. Take a look at the table below to choose your level and find out how many points you need to take part.
How points are scored
|Percentage scored||Points awarded|
|60.00 - 61.99%||1|
|62.00 - 63.99%||2|
|64.00 - 65.99%||3|
|66.00 - 67.99%||4|
|68.00 - 69.99%||5|
|70.00 - 71.99%||6|
|72.00 - 73.99%||7|
|74.00 - 75.99%||8|
|76.00 - 77.99%||9|
|78.00 - 79.99%||10|
|80.00% and above||11|
Summer Petplan Equine Area Festival 2021
Revised Points Requirements
At least one of the points in the total below should be gained in a qualifying section - marked with a 'Q' on the show schedule.
Area Festival Summer Music 2021
Revised Qualification Requirement:
|Prelim||1 x 63% or higher||1 x 63% or higher|
|Novice||1 x 63% or higher||1 x 63% or higher|
|Elementary||1 x 63% or higher||1 x 63% or higher|
|Medium||1 x 63% or higher||1 x 63% or higher|
|Advanced Medium||1 x 63% or higher||1 x 63% or higher|
|PSG||1 x 60% or higher||1 x 60% or higher|
|Inter I||1 x 60% or higher||1 x 60% or higher|
Winter 2021 Area Festivals
Get ready for the 2021 Petplan Equine Winter Area Festivals:
|Keysoe||Bedfordshire||30 April - 02 May|
|Beacons Equestrian||Carmarthenshire||01 - 03 May|
|Parwood Equestrian Centre||Surrey||06 - 09 May|
|Vale View Equestrian||Leicestershire||07 - 09 May|
|Northallerton Equestrian Centre||North Yorkshire||07 - 10 May|
|Morris Equestrian Centre *||East Ayrshire||15 - 16 May|
|Speedgate Events||Kent||13 - 16 May|
|Prestige Equestrian||Gloucestershire||13 - 15 May|
|Solihull||West Midlands||14 - 18 May|
|Aintree International Equestrian Centre||Merseyside||27 - 30 May|
|Gordon Dressage Group at The Cabin *||Aberdeenshire||29 - 30 May|
|Kingston Maurward College||Dorset||1 - 3 June|
* Further clarification will be required for the two Winter Area Festivals and Regional in Scotland, as Level 3 travel restrictions may prevent members from accessing these competitions. Additional contingency plans will be made should restrictions remain in place at this time.
Note: Full and part qualifications earned during the summer qualification period, from 1 December 2019 until the suspension of competition activity on 19 March, will be carried forward for winter season qualifications in the corresponding class/section. You don’t need to take any action, this will happen automatically for any straight classes
Need to know:
- The Winter Area Festival qualification period runs from 1 July to 31 December 2021 with Area Festivals taking place in January and February 2022.
- Combinations can ride in as many Area Festivals they qualify for unless they achieve qualification for the Championships.
- From the Area Festivals, combinations will need to finish in the top two of their class to qualify for the Area Festival Championships. Any unfilled places will be awarded by the wild card system.
- Qualification for the Music Area Festival classes classes will be two scores of 63% or above for Prelim to Advanced Medium and two scores of 60% or above at PSG and Intermediate I. To reach the Championship, combinations will need to place within the top two and wildcards will be awarded as necessary
You can ride in Prelim Bronze sections to get your scores for an Area Festival as a club member on a club horse. If you do qualify for a Petplan Equine Area Festival, you and your horse will need to become a full member to take part. Don't forget, if you own a horse taking part in the Petplan Equine Area Festivals, you'll need to be a Full or Premier Club member too.
For Prelim Silver and Novice level and above both you and your horse need to be fully registered to gain your scores.