The stage is set at HOYS for the Dressage Future Elite Championship
- Written By:
Thursday evening's performance at the Horse of the Year Show 2023, taking place this week at the Resorts World Arena, The NEC, Birmingham (04 – 08 October), features the eleventh year and tenth running of the annual Dressage Future Elite Championship.
Taking place during the evening performance on Thursday 05 October, this prestigious competition provides a platform for the UK's up-and-coming dressage horses to gain invaluable experience under the spotlight at a world famous international event. In conjunction with British Dressage, the popular championship is designed for horses between eight and ten years old when qualifying. The class will feature a total of eight horse and rider combinations that will each showcase an Intermediate I Freestyle to music.
Previous winners of the Dressage Future Elite Championship, launched in 2013 with one year missed (2020) due to Covid, are: Michael Eilberg with Half Moon Dynasty (2013), Anders Dahl with Selten HW (2014), Becky Moody with Carinsio (2015), five-times winner Charlotte Dujardin - with Hawtins Delicato (2016), Mount St John Freestyle (2017), Florentina VI (2018), Mount St John Valencia (2019) and Imhotep (2021) – and Becky Moody who triumphed here last year with Jagerbomb, pictured.
The success of these horses since is testament to the worth of the Dressage Future Elite Championship at HOYS for giving the stars of the future essential exposure to the big stage, and we look forward to the promising young horses forward for this year’s competition.
The eight horse and rider combinations competing this year are:
- Rowan Bryson from Evesham, Worcestershire with her own and Heather Bryson’s Izonik (black gelding, 2013, Zonik N.O.P. x Jazz, KWPN).
- Charlotte Dujardin from Newent, Gloucestershire with Carl Hester and Peter Belshaw’s Times Kismet (bay mare, 2015, Ampere x Lord Leatherdale, KWPN).
- Jessica Dunn from Burnley, Lancashire with Jennifer Whittaker’s Dan Its Carston (bay gelding, 2013, Durable x Clearway, WBS).
- Michael Eilberg from Redditch, Worcestershire with Nichola Hannam’s MSJ Encore (bay gelding, 2015, Escolar x Caprimond, OLDBG).
- Alexander Harrison from Bristol, Avon with his own Kickback (bay gelding, 2015, Galaxie x Florencio, AES).
- David Harvey from Wallingford, Oxfordshire with Judy Peploe’s Diamond Blue (black gelding, 2013, by Don Frederic, BHHS).
- Becky Moody from Sheffield, South Yorkshire with Jo Cooper’s James Bond 2 (dark bay stallion, 2014, Desperado x Fidertanz).
- Sadie Smith from Hampshire with her own Swanmore Dantina (bay mare, 2015, Dante Weltino OLD x Charatan W, BHHS).
Visitors to HOYS can watch the young talent in the Dressage Future Elite Championship, which will commence at 18:10 in the Andrews Bowen International Arena. The class will also be available, by subscription, on ClipMyHorse.TV to watch and enjoy from the comfort of home.
Photo © 1st Class Images