Wellington CDI: Youth riders at full tilt for selection finale
- Written By:
With youth team selection on the horizon, Britain's brightest young talents were out in force at Wellington CDI (11 - 12 June 2022) for the penultimate opportunity to showcase season progression and stellar scores.
2021 Young Rider team representative Caitlin Burgess stamped her presence on the Young Rider tour, claiming a brace of wins on board her own KWPN routinier Chocotof (by Lord Leatherdale). The duo (pictured above) scored 72.59% and 73.28% in the Young Rider Team and Individual tests respectively. The Wellington wins followed a very busy few weeks of competition for the well-matched combination, having achieved a clean sweep in the Young Riders’ classes at this season's Myerscough, Keysoe and Somerford Park Premier League fixtures.
In the competitive junior ranks, short listed riders India Durman-Mills and Myles Graham shared first and second place accolades across the weekend. India topped the Team Test with the bay Jazz-sired gelding Escade, owned by Verity Saul, scoring 71.67% whilst Wiltshire-based Myles claimed the Individual Test after posting 72.15% on board Caroline Bell's light-footed mare Nibeley Union Hit (Nibeley Union Jack x Sandro Hit).
With hot competition across the board, further shortlisted riders also enjoyed success in the ribbons. Sophie Wallace came third with Ursula Bechtolsheimer and Laura Tomlinson's black mare Rosalie B in the Team Test whilst 2021 Pony Team performer Ruby Hughes took third in the Individual Test with Nancy Scott's Bee Gee 8.
In the FEI Pony category, Sofia Games and 14-year-old Next Black Magic (pictured above) earned their double first in the Pony Team and Individual tests with scores of 70.95% and 70.90%. Sofia, who is shortlisted for the FEI Pony European Championships with Janet Oliver and Katie Oliver-Games' talented black gelding, has enjoyed appearances at three international shows to date so far this year.
Sofia and her other ride, the liver chestnut gelding Mister Snowman owned by Janet Oliver and Katie Oliver-Games, also took third place in the Team Test, with Myles Graham on Dresscode Cocktail squeezing into second in a very close-scoring top trio. The Individual Test saw Myles taking the runner up spot again, this time with Ruby Hughes and Shirley Rixon's Hilkens Showgirl taking the third podium place.
Crystal Robinson-Long and her own Evita Ronia (Westpoint x Oscar) dominated the Children on Horses classes with a clean sweep of victories alongside impressive scores of 77.57% in the Team test and 75.65% in the Individual. Whilst completing a promising podium, runner up Evie Head and third placed Millie Caldecott also showed off their talents each scoring over 70%.
Results – top three
CDIY – Young Rider Team Test
1. Caitlin Burgess and Chocotof, 72.598% (GBR)
2. Maddy Frewin and Eagle Nouvelle, 70.000% (GBR)
3. Lilah Gibbs with Dude III, 69.461% (GBR)
CDIY – Young Rider Individual Test
1. Caitlin Burgess and Chocotof, 73.284% (GBR)
2. Charlotte McDowall and Alive and Kicking, 69.314% (GBR)
3. Maddy Frewin and Eagle Nouvelle, 68.333% (GBR)
CDIJ – Junior Team Test
1. India Durman-Mills and Escade, 71.616% (GBR)
2. Myles Graham and Nibeley Union Hit, 71.061% (GBR)
3. Sophie Wallace with Rosalie B, 70.960% (GBR)
CDIJ – Junior Individual Test
1. Myles Graham and Nibeley Union Hit, 72.157% (GBR)
2. India Durman-Mills and Escade, 72.059% (GBR)
3. Ruby Hughes and Bee Gee 8, 68.382% (GBR)
CDIP – Pony Team Test
1. Sofia Games and Next Black Magic, 70.952% (GBR)
2. Myles Graham and Dresscode Cocktail, 70.048% (GBR)
3. Sofia Games and Mister Snowman, 69.286% (GBR)
CDIP – Pony Individual Test
1. Sofia Games and Next Black Magic, 70.901% (GBR)
2. Myles Graham and Dresscode Cocktail, 69.324% (GBR)
3. Ruby Hughes and Hilkens Showgirl, 68.2435 (GBR)
CDICh-A – Children on Horses Team Test
1. Crystal Robinson-Long and Evita Ronia, 77.575% (GBR)
2. Evie Head and Brouwershaven’s Leonie, 73.100% (GBR)
3. Millie Caldecott and Beaurepaire Frodo, 72.875% (GBR)
CDICh-A – Children on Horses Individual Test
1. Crystal Robinson-Long with Evita Ronia, 75.653% (GBR)
2. Evie Head with Brouwershaven’s Leonie, 70.324% (GBR)
3. Millie Caldecott with Beaurepaire Frodo, 70.084% (GBR)
Photo © Kevin Sparrow